His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, shared 10 guidelines to be strictly followed by Emiratis on social media.
“Neglect and chaos over social media platforms impact the achievements that thousands of work teams have dedicated their greatest efforts to build. The reputation of the UAE is not for public use by those who seek more followers,” wrote Sheikh Mohammed in his letter. According to the Ruler, Emiratis who represent the country on social media platforms must adhere to the moral legacy of the late Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan. The ten points of conduct follow Sheikh Mohammed‘s open letter written in September to the residents and citizens. In the letter, Sheikh Mohammed urged them to be mindful of their behavior so as to not tarnish the country’s image on social media.
Sheikh Mohammed’s ten guidelines for social media users are as follows:
1. A person who represents Sheikh Zayed, the UAE’s founding father, and his principles when interacting with others.
2. A person who reflects the knowledge, culture and the level and sophistication of civilization achieved by the UAE.
3. A person who does not use insults, foul language or any other word that’s indecent.
4. A person who uses logic and reasoning in a conversation.
5. A person who appreciates a good word, a beautiful picture and interacts with positive thoughts, cultures and societies.
6. A person who helps others by sharing information, ideas, social and human initiatives that enrich the country.
7. A person who gets involved with his/her international surroundings, speaks its language, deals with its issues and positively interacts with its future.
8. A confident person who accepts differences and builds bridges with other people.
9. A person who reflects the humble nature and love of Emiratis, and the love and openness towards others.
10. A person who adores the nation, is always proud of it, and would sacrifice for it.